Monday, November 12, 2007

The reason I ask questions

As I have scrolled through a variety of blogs and discussion boards and even posted notes seeking interviews for this blog, I've had a lot of inquiry about what my motivation is for doing a blog like this.

It's simple ... The stories I hear are inspiring.

As an example, I recently asked a group of Craigslist users in Philadelphia "Is there an article of clothing you'd never part with?"

A 74 year old man who calls himself Harley responded by saying he would never part with his late son's baseball cap and team shirt.

It seems that 28 years ago, Harley's 19-year old son had just joined the Marines and was on his way to basic training with a buddy. They were involved in a car accident and 18 hours later, Harley's son was dead. Harley still feels guilty that he couldn't have somehow delayed his son just a few minutes.

He describes his son as "funny, intelligent, handsome and my only child."

"He was all I had, my only child and his mother had died of cancer only five years before."

Harley keeps the shirt and cap and launders them every year, remembering that baseball was his son's passion.

"I once punished him for 'cutting classes' at school to sneak off to a Phillies game. At the time it seemed fitting, NOW it’s still a lump in my throat."

No comments: