Friday, November 16, 2007

Introducing Austin Artist ... Douglas Brown


Name: Douglas Brown
Age: 31
Location: Austin, TX
Occupation: I do so many things: Painter, Graphic Artist, Illustrator, and most recently I've gotten into storyboarding for television and film. I guess you could say I do anything creative.


Websites:
For graphic design: www.albumartist.com
Plain ol’ art: www.douglasbrownartist.com
Personality: www.myspace.com/douglasbrownartist
To buy prints, magnets, mugs and more: www.cafepress.com/douglasbrown

This is the second in a series of interviews with Austin Artists.

1. Talk briefly about your work at Albumartist.
Albumartist is a graphic design studio based in Austin, Texas. Since 2003, we’ve been producing work for a wide variety of clients: musicians, bars, entertainment venues, film makers, manufacturers, and city departments. I provide identity branding, sales and marketing material, illustration and storyboard services. At Albumartist, I'm the lead designer so everything you see come out of that office is my work. My style as a designer is to have everything very clean and simple, but many times I have to follow the clients' aesthetics. After all, they sign the checks. In regards to my paintings and illustrations, it really depends on what the client is seeking. I'd love to have someone commission me to create a book cover where I could actually paint in my style.

2. At first glance your paintings and illustrations seem to have an Asian influence, but you say the influence is actually Andalusia, Spain. How did you develop an interest in the culture there and how has it influenced your work?
My influences come from all over the place. Let’s see if I can trace it back.

Comics I tried my hand at self publishing a long time ago. Got to the first issue and it was just too much work to write, draw, ink, and market the title. But the line work and style of comics stayed with me. I've sought out cultures that use a lot of line work and detail in their art ever since. I started with the Maya because that was the origin of the character. Then in 2002-3 I went to Panama to visit family during Carnaval. I loved it. It got me interested in looking into my heritage, Kuna Indians. They have a tremendous amount of detail in their work and very rich colors. After I made a set of paintings inspired by the rainforests, and those cultures, I decided to look into other cultures with lots of detail in their work. I'm making it a goal to try a little of every culture. My dream would be to raise funds to visit these places. Although books and the web are helpful, I'm missing something by not actually being there. So if anyone wants to fund a trip in exhcange for art, contact me through the sites listed above. :)

Shakira Yes. That's right. The pop singer. She's only a couple of years younger than me but she's been involved in her passion all her life. I used to draw quite a lot but I let myself go stale and got involved with everyday activities. It made me wonder what or where I would be if I'd dedicated myself like that. It pissed me off and got me painting again, and I'd love to thank her for it. She is the subject of "Something in the way..." which is pretty much the lynch pin of my style. It has everything: beautiful woman, tons of detail, exotic setting, mixed mediums. If I ever become collectable, that's the piece to own.

Ancient cultures After Mayan, my interest drifted over to Middle Eastern art, which in turn came from the war. I remember seeing on the news how people were buying lots of copies of the Qur'an and other texts to get a feel for the culture there. I thought about some of the buildings like the Hagia Sofia and thought "Oh yeah, they do have some cool looking stuff" so I picked up a book on Moorish architecture. I was totally blown away by it. Now that I've done a few works with those influences, I'm starting to drift again and look into Japan.

Women What can I say? I love looking at them. Pretty much every one of the cultures I've been painting has in unique way of painting their women through decoration. At first I did nothing but nudes because I love the curves women have. Then I started placing them in these wonderful settings of these far away places. After that, I started integrating architectural motifs of these cultures as tattoos on the women. Now, I'm painting drapery and revealing form through the clothing and making them sexy and strong is my challenge.

3. How does it feel to sell a piece of your work?

It is a rush to know that someone out there likes your work enough to pay for it. I'm always happy to sell a piece but afterwards, there is a little tinge of sadness because I'll probably never see it again except for the prints, and the memories making it. This is especially true when it is a piece that holds lots of meaning, like this one painting, "Oksana". It was a life size painting of a guitar player with a prosthetic arm and covered in tattoos telling the story of how she lost her arm. At the time I was writing a screenplay and had to get this girl out of my head, so I made the painting. She looked incredible. Late at night I would talk to her about the story, life, etc. Everyone else didn't care much for her, but for me it was difficult to let her go.

4. Austin is undoubtedly the creative capital of the country. How do you think growing up there influenced your art? What role has your Panamanian heritage had in your art and your life?
(Growing up in Austin) definitely influenced my love of music. My early work revolved around musicians. That is the reason my company is called Albumartist. Originally I made the company to cater to musicians but over time, I expanded to other businesses. As for my heritage ... I think going to Panama really sparked my curiosity in studying other cultures.

5. You talk about the influence of your mother on your work. Tell us about her and how she has made a difference in your life and those around her?
My mother was from Panama. She met my dad when he was stationed there. She was a beauty queen and won a number of titles. Shortly after I was born, we moved to Austin. I think things started to fall apart after he came back from being in Alaska. He started to drink. Then he left us high and dry. My mom didn't know much English and took two, sometimes three jobs to keep the house going. When she would work, her friends watched over us. My brother knows more about it than I do. I was kept sheltered from all the things that happened. I know that she's incredibly strong and never wanted anything back from us in return other than to do our best. When I decided to go to school for art, she supported the decision, and still does. I would say that she's the strongest woman I've ever met.
When it comes to my pantings, I'm not interested in having them be sexy. Let's face it, if I wanted a pin up girl, I'd buy a photograph. Instant gratification and perfect realism. In my work, I want to create women in fantastic settings that are sensual, caring, and strong, and be a reflection of the women I grew up around.

No comments: