Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Introducing Austin Artist ... John Haney



Age: Old enough to know better, to young to care.
Location: Texas Hill Country / Highland Lakes.
Occupation: Graphics guy, creative, painter, lawn jockey and hillbilly.
Website: http://johnhaney.typepad.com




This is the first in a series of interviews we've titled the Austin Artist Series.

1. You "paid your dues" as a graphic designer working in advertising and marketing firms. How do you compare your work in commercial art to the work you do now that you have left the corporate world and devoted yourself full time to your art?

I wouldn't say I "paid my dues" as a graphic designer. I loved almost every minute. When I think of one paying one’s dues, its more like some physical endeavor, a test of endurance and/or nerves. Maybe I paid my dues before I got into the creative field. Farming and ranching, hot tar roofing, hardware sales, plus lots of other mundane jobs, it didn't take long to figure out these were not for me. Then rough-necking, the last gig before the arts, a love-hate relationship of a job. These are the men that punch the hole in the earth and drill down to where the oil or gas is supposed to be, and then move to the next hole every 1-3 months. I had only thought I had done physically demanding, dirty, nasty, and dangerous work before. This was the real deal. And the interesting characters one meets -- on one crew I worked on (four men), I was the only one that had NOT done jail time. I was in my early 20s and learned a lot of new
things.

Graphic design never felt like real work. I still love the graphic arts. I felt so lucky to be a part of the business, at the time in Austin there was only a couple of agencies with accounts over a million dollars. Getting into the business was the most difficult, the competition was stiff. And to stay in the business for 20 years seems like a miracle. I still enjoy collaborating and working on graphic design assignments from time to time.

Comparing the type of work for the commercial art world to what I'm doing now is a bit different. Organizations paid me to create on demand -- make some thing, convey a predefined message, make it attractive, pretty, easy to digest, move one to action. I have the most respect for great copy writers. Now, as a painter, no one pays me to create. Funding comes from those that enjoy the creations by electing to place them in their homes or offices to enjoy daily, to share with others. Would you think a lot of people have thoughts of escaping/exploring, to write, paint, create, sing, dance, to follow one’s bliss? In the dream it seems so romantic. But is it?

2. You do a great job of painting people's faces and, in fact, that's your most recent collection of work on your site. What draws you to this particular form?
This series "Painted Faces" started by chance and grew into some thing I hadn't imagined at the time. Most all of us are voyeurs. People watching is a past time is older than dirt. You could say that’s how it started, seeing someone that looked interesting. At the mall, in traffic, on the street, at a party, a snapshot, a picture, they are everywhere. Every person has a story or two, some times it can be read in their face. .


The series also began to grow from a desire to explore. Explore a singular subject matter, different techniques, styles, moods, color combinations, movements in art history, pay homage to artists of influence, have fun with it. I'm not sure if there is an end to the "Painted Faces" series. Maybe, when I get to one hundred paintings, I publish a book "101 Painted Faces by John Haney."

Throughout this journey of exploring the subject matter I've learned about Eastern and Western ideas about the human face. The Buddha’s face, the closest to what one would call “perfect,” demonstrates symmetry and balance from the top, middle, bottom and side-to-side, giving the viewer a sense of harmony and peace. In Chinese medicine, a beautiful face is said to be a harmonious face. The Chinese art of “face reading” is an expression of the belief that observation of the face can reveal the personality and health of the patient, thereby allowing for diagnosis and treatment. Even in Western corporate culture, the human face is used as a meter for one’s psychological and emotional profile.

I am offering the viewer the opportunity to reflect on a fleeting image and to examine it more intimately. Each viewer brings his or her own unique experiences to the table and is free share in the universality of the human face on his or her own terms. A hope to delight in the unusual juxtaposition of colors, the unexpected surprises found in the provocative personalities depicted in the portraits.

3. You grew up in small towns, spent your commercial art career in the vibrant city of Austin, and now have settled in Texas Hill Country. How has each influenced your art and your personality?
Living in Austin 20 years, it's not difficult to find/see an interesting character for inspiration. What a great city, I love it, and 60 miles or less in any direction is the prettiest country in the great state of Texas. All of my youth was living in
rural areas of Colorado, Oklahoma and Texas. That old saying; "you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy" is true for me. I feel blessed to be on this chunk of earth. It is an easy drive into Austin, and Dallas, San Antonio and Houston are down the road to enjoy all they offer and to the airport to getaway to the cultural capitals of the world. Its great to get away, even better getting back. It's fun, interesting, inspiring to visit other places. I don't know if I could or would enjoy calling somewhere else home base as much as this area. Me Casa.

4. Tell us how you go about the process of your work.
My process? Hmmm. I don't know if I have one. It varies. Some days I try to make a plan, X amount of hours on this task or the other, then move to the next, X amount of time painting. Other times its the first thing I do in the morning, sitting in my boxers with paint on brush, before ya know its midday, I am starving and parched. Most of the evening/night, getting a bit irritated when I need to stop, eat, go to the bathroom and other mundane tasks. It's strange when all things are flowing in harmony, time and space slips away, you wonder how did all this come together and who did it. It’s been a great day.

5. Please share with us an image of one of your paintings and tell us how it came to be, the story that it tells.
The image I've chosen to share here is called "High-Lites in her Hair.” The idea/thought was born of overhearing some ladies talk about getting highlights. I had no idea. I then started to notice hair highlights, natural and cosmetic. I've seen hair jobs that are quite artistic. I thought how fun, to paint highlights of colour. Also this one was a bit of a break thru for me. I was loosening up. I had
executed a hand that I wasn't ashamed of, I really enjoyed playing with colors, the eyes fell into place, the composition pleased me. This one had more rights than wrongs for my eyes any way.

With my paintings I want to, I hope to, bring something, and offer something. Give, share, exchange. Bring joy, it may have visual appeal. Is it interesting or insightful. I am so thankful for the oppurtunity to share my craft. The hope is that others may find something joyful of these creations. Right now I think my gig is to try to provide, individuals with an imaginative experience that maybe a bit more intense, revealing, and a meaningful version of an actual experience. Art improves our surroundings and stimulates creative thinking. It provides cultural benefits and enrichments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.